5.27.2013

Happy Memorial Day

-->

Self Reliance:

Along the lines of being self-reliant, (yesterday's post) is the activity of growing and maintaining a garden. This guide from New Mexico State University called Backyard Composting should help those of us in the desert Southwest to decrease yard waste as well as increase productivity in our gardens.


In my case, I am not a very good gardener. I don't have the stamina or physique to do a lot of gardening outdoors in the sun. So I am working on a container garden. Not too many containers this first year, but I hope a substantial amount of vegetables for my trouble. 

I wish I had the stamina to do this!!! 



Here are some ideas I have found on the internet

 This is kind of what I imagine. A variety of buckets and tubs that are just hanging around waiting to be used.
 I have tubs - I am sure I can come up with a couple of empty ones. Then I need some potting soil to go in them.
 This is my reward!


Well, we'll see if I can pull it off.

Today's handout is a recipe book from Virginia called: A Taste of Provident Living in the Fredericksburg, Virginia Stake (25p).