6.05.2013

Water, Water Everywhere, and Not a Drop to Drink

Last night as I was learning about irrigation and opening up that option on my land I realized that I probably don't have enough water storage, or even water options for the future. Sure, I could probably harness some of that irrigation water and drink it, but then again, I don't know where it's been. It is not purified or even clean looking. So, I think some options about water storage are due here.
This option is available for someone who has a large garage or other storage shed to put things into. I don't. I have a carport and a little shed out back. (I only have a tiny corner lot in a small farming community.) What to do? What to do?

So I have to think of other options.

Actually buying water in a can, might be an option, but I don't like the thought of having all that un-recyclable metal around in a Zombie Apocalypse. We won't have an way to recycle if the resources are limited.

So water in a can is probably not a good idea.

I do have a few plastic containers full of water. Not so much in the little individual sized containers, but more in the gallon size. These have been okay for the most part, except for a few water disasters. When I first got this little house I put some water under the counter in the kitchen and hit a nail that went right through that thin plastic.

Not so good.

I still have the bulk of my water in plastic.

I guess I could do THIS!
Then I could just store empty containers??
But
Instead
What I have decided to do is this.
Just like Mrs Tips at mrstips.com I am putting my water in glass.  I have a friend who doesn't do much canning in jars because she is wary of earthquakes. This is probably a valid concern, I guess, but I tend to think that if I store things properly they won't fall off the shelves and break. So my water storage is on the bottom. If it breaks it might get the floor wet, but that would be the least of my concerns anyway (in an earthquake that big.) I do make sure I diversify. A little of this and a little of that.

This should give you a few ideas about water, eh?

happy posting - Glenda