6.09.2013

Outdoors Cooking - Campground style

What I wouldn't give to be able to enjoy camping. My favorite thing about camping is the fresh air, the noises of the forest and the gently moving water to stick my feet into. And the food. What I don't like about camping is not being able to sleep and the insect bites. So today's information will have a bit about cooking and maybe I can find some sleeping solutions and insect bite solutions that will fit my lifestyle. Either that or I will have to stay home.
This Patrol Campout Cookbook from Boy Scout Troup 261 in Parkville Missouri is a good place to start if you have never cooked outside before. 48p of meal ideas and recipes. Just remember that your food storage must reflect the items you want to cook. Do you have enough of what your family will eat. Do you have any special diets or needs that need to be addressed. As a want-to-be vegan I am rethinking what I have in my home. Will I have enough fresh vegetables? No, probably not, but they can be grown if I have the seeds available. I do believe I have enough grains, but I am working on getting other grains besides wheat and white rice. Quinoa, Kamut, oats, barley etc.



Most of the cookbooks I have on this site were here before I turned vegan. I am sure they will benefit someone, but I have looked and there are not a lot of recipes that I can use. I hope to include vegan recipes as I progress.


Here's Backwoods Cookbook. 11 pages of ideas for cooking outside.
Three Easy Steps to Outdoor Grilling from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. Then don't forget to check out this Home Canning Meat pamphlet (8p) and other home canning books that I have posted previously. Also check out the pages link that lists all of the booklets/cookbooks/downloads available.


11/17/17 - Notice that much of that food on the grill is vegetables! We can have delicious food right along side the meat eaters. Of course that BBQ sauce would taste just as good in a vegan format. Hugs, Glenda