6.12.2013

Back-yard Camping

This first book is 21 pages called Cooking (no author) but has to do with cooking out with girls. It covers everything from planning to shopping to meal ideas to measurements at first and then lists the recipes

The Girl Scout Gourmet (54 pg) includes non-cooked meals, stick dinners, frying pan dinners, one-pot meals, foil dinners, dutch ovens, box ovens (with instructions), and Pudgie Pie. For those of us who didn’t know, a Pudgie Pie is a sandwich grill. You put bread on one half, then your ingredients, then the other bread and close. I think this would be the perfect solution for cooking in my wood stove. I am definitely on the look-out for a Pudgie Pie iron.

The Girl Scout Gourmet uses the iron for cornbread, fried potatoes, French toast, and quesadillas. I am anxious for winter so I can fire up my stove and give these a try. That reminds me that I also need a fire pit in my back yard so I can BBQ. So much to do, so little time.


[Update 11/17/17: I would love to have someone share some vegan pudgie pie ideas. A cornmeal or wheat bread base with some bean spread in the middle sound intriguing.]

So as a follow-up here, I am going to put some information about permanent fire pits.

Here’s a picture from a site called How to Build a Backyard Fire Pit for $28. Even with inflation it shouldn’t be much more than that. Especially if you forgo the bottom layer and just put 12 bricks in a circle.

If you wait until the last minute you might be reduced to this type of fire - but it is just as serviceable if you ask me.

Pictured below are some other ideas and plans.