5.30.2013

Food Storage Cookbook #2


I am a firm believer that if you want to know what your food storage will taste like during the Zombie Apocalypse START EATING IT NOW!

You need to have practice with your storage so you know how to use it when hard times are upon us. So break out this Food Storage Recipes and More (118 p, no author) and start experimenting with the recipes.






Then again. Look at this hominy and chorizo casserole. I am making myself hungry for sure. 
Update: 11/17/17, I still have a craving for chorizo, but I think it is just the chili that I am missing- so I will get my daughter to help me find a good chili recipe and figure out a way to make hominy and chili casserole to match this one.
Update 11/21/17: I think this Mexican Cauliflower recipe could be substituted with hominy. The only other changes I would make is to sauté the onion with water instead of coconut oil. I have not tried any dairy-free cheese, so I don't know what that is like.


Mexican Cauliflower

Mexican Cauliflower Casserole has many spices and accent vegetables that blend just right. Easy to make and healthy too.
Course Side Dish
Recipe Type Mexican Style
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 Servings
Calories 106 kcal
Author Ginny McMeans

Ingredients

  • 1 cauliflower head, separated into bite size florets
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil or water to saute
  • 1 onion yellow, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper small, diced
  • 15 ounces tomatoes can, diced with juice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs fresh
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese dairy-free

Instructions

  1. Lightly oil a 9" x 10" casserole dish or use a non-stick dish or parchment paper to keep from sticking
  2. Steam the cauliflower florets for 15 minutes. They will be done when easily pierced with a fork.
  3. Heat oil in a large skillet, or a 1/4 cup of water.
  4. Saute the onion and bell pepper for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion looks translucent.
  5. Stir in the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
  6. Add the spices and cook 3 more minutes.
  7. Put the cauliflower in the prepared casserole.
  8. Pour all of the mixture from the skillet on top of the cauliflower.
  9. Combine the breadcrumbs and nondairy cheese and sprinkle over the casserole.
  10. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
  11. Put under broiler for 1 minutes to brown up the top. Watch very closely.

Recipe Notes

IF FREEZING:
Let cool to room temperature. Package in rigid sided containers.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator 6 to 8 hours before baking. To bake - cover with foil and put in a 350°oven for 35 minutes. Take off the foil for the last 10 minutes of baking. Ready to serve.















I also saw a recipe for fried leftover oatmeal. I would try it in a heartbeat if I ever had any leftover oatmeal. When I make oatmeal I eat it ALL. [Update 11/17/17, How to fry oatmeal without oil?]

Anyway, the recipe calls for freezing first to make it easy to work with and then frying.


 Update 11/17/17, Add your favorite topping like applesauce or other fruit sauce. I am thinking that "Yummy Sauce" recipe I saw this morning would work too, but then I do love mustard. I guess its up to me to decide if I will like it on my oatmeal.


Update 11/21/17: I am hoping I can get one of these air fryers soon. Its not a good picture, but there are two options under $100.00. Maybe on my visit to Albuquerque this weekend I will find one in my price range.


Hugs Glenda